Monday, February 21, 2011

Growing in a new way





A new Year, a new life for us. We sure have had a wild journey since we left Seattle. We've traveled far and wide in North America, and once again we find ourselves back in Washington. Somehow, we always end up back here. But this time, it's different.
We've landed on the sunny side, the dry side, the quiet side, the wild side, the OTHER side. We're much closer to some of our favorite farms, but we're a world away from the progressive cultural norms we grew used to.
Each day can bring on bi-polar mood swings. For example, I go outside and feel so inspired and joyful walking around this tiny town, gazing at stark basalt canyon walls, smelling dry sagebrush. It's delightful that heavy traffic here means we've seen up to four cars on the road. Then I go into a nearby grocery store and want to cry. The local food movement hasn't hit here yet. Several times, store employees have approached me to see if I'm OK as I stand with my head in my hands trying to figure out what processed agri-crap might do the least harm to me and my family. When my son comes home from school and tells me how much candy he was given by teachers and administrators, I want to scream!
But this year, I'm gonna grow a lot of food. It's my goal to grow and preserve as much food as possible. Sun and heat means tomatoes, peppers, melons. I'm excited.

3 comments:

stockpeople said...

I love You! You are wonderful!

jill said...

Hey you're out there! Lost track when you closed GreenGo in Ballard although saw you at the markets last year. Still miss you in Ballard when I want a quick, healthful meal and don't feel like cooking.

Anyway, will be interested to hear your Eastern WA adventures. Took a road trip to SE WA last fall and thought Waitsburg was a great little town on the verge - are you anywhere near there?
best,
jill

Tiffany Schindler, BSN said...

Happy Spring! Glad to hear the update. I lived out that way for a while - I know what you mean about the agri-crap. I have to remind myself to breathe when I think about it. Love from Seattle!